What Boaters Can Do
- For safety, stay out of the path of towboats and barges approaching bridges and locks.
- Designate and assign one person in a recreational boat to look out, particularly for commercial traffic.
- Understand whistle signals, and stay clear of vessels sounding the "danger" signal, which is at least five or more short whistle blasts.
- Don't water ski or jet ski in and around tows.
- Avoid cargo loading docks and "parked" or moored vessels in fleeting areas.
What Recreational Boaters Should Know